Forest Stewardship Council® FSC®
The Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) is an international organization that brings people together to find solutions which promote responsible stewardship of the world’s forests.
- FSC® is a stakeholder owned system for promoting responsible management of the world’s forests.
- Through consultative processes, it sets international standards for responsible forest management.
- It accredits independent third party organizations who can certify forest managers and forest product producers to FSC® standards.
- Its trademark provides international recognition to organizations who support the growth of responsible forest management.
- Its product label allows consumers worldwide to recognize products that support the growth of responsible forest management worldwide.
- FSC® undertakes marketing programs and information services that contributes to the mission of promoting responsible forestry worldwide.
- Over the past 13 years, over 90 million hectares in more than 82 countries have been certified according to FSC® standards while several thousand products are produced using FSC®-certified wood and carrying the FSC® trademark. FSC® operates through its network of National Initiatives in 43 countries.
FSC® certification is carried out by FSC® accredited certification bodies. FSC® itself does not certify forest operations or manufacturers. This maintains FSC®‘s independence between its standards and requirements, and operations seeking certification.
FSC® provides monthly updates on the certificates issued by FSC® accredited certification bodies. The latest lists are available in the Certificates Lists section in the Document Center.
There are two types of FSC® certificates available from certification bodies:
Forest Management (FM) Certificate
Forest management certification involves an inspection of the forest management unit by an independent FSC®-accredited certification body to check that the forest complies with the internationally-agreed FSC® Principles of Responsible Forest Management.
If the forest complies with FSC® standards, then the FSC® accredited certification body issues a certificate for the operation. Certified forest operations can claim the forest products they produce come from a responsibly managed forest.
Before a certified forest operation can sell their products as FSC® certified, they must also obtain chain of custody certification (FM/COC).
Chain of Custody (COC) Certificate
Chain of custody certification provides a guarantee about the production of FSC®-certified products. Chain-of-custodý is the path taken by raw materials from the forest to the consumer, including all successive stages of processing, transformation, manufacturing and distribution.
From a customer perspective, the FSC® label represents a promise that is being made to them. Chain of custody standards are the mechanism FSC® has to ensure that ‘promise’ is delivered.
Operations that have been independently verified for FSC® chain of custody certification are eligible to label their products with the FSC® logo.
FSC® Certified MDF
Creffields is a major supplier of FSC® Approved MDF and flameproof MDF in the UK.
Since 1992 we’ve been supplying customers in the TV, film, exhibition, conference, and scenery industries with all of their sheet materials, so if you are looking for a supplier you can trust for all of your FSC® MDF and sheet material requirements, contact Creffields today.
Creffields fully embraces the ethos of the FSC® and supplies plywood, hardwood, and other timber products that are fully certified by the FSC®. Indeed, Creffields is also certified by the Council and has been for many years.
Large Range of FSC® Approved MDF
At Creffields we have a large range of MDF boards which can be used for both spraying or machining. We only offer high-quality and versatile MDF, including FSC® MDF such as:
MEDITE – premier-grade MDF which is very versatile and ideal for a wide range of applications, making it one of our most popular products.
As well as FSC® Approved MDF, we also provide a range of other products to ensure that we can meet all of your requirements, including:
Benefits of FSC® MDF
FSC® MDF refers to MDF which is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council® and can therefore prove its environmental credentials. This is an international organisation that promotes responsible stewardship of forests all over the world with the aim of minimising the negative impact of commercial timber sourcing wherever it is undertaken.
The FSC® scheme sets the standard for responsible management. In a time when many forests are being destroyed or badly managed, it is becoming increasingly important for suppliers like Creffields to carry the trademark, and you can do your part by always purchasing FSC® Approved MDF.
We supply many products that are FSC® approved so that we can assist you with all of your requirements for sheet material. Whether you operate in the TV, film, or scenery trades, when you source your FSC® MDF from Creffields you can be sure that you are dealing with a supplier who takes its environmental credentials seriously.
Choose Creffields for FSC® MDF
Whether you choose us to supply FSC® Approved MDF or any other products, we always provide the highest quality, the best prices, and quick delivery. Whatever size your order, make sure you choose a supplier who can meet all your requirements, and contact us at Creffields today.
FSC® Certified Plywood
When selecting a plywood or general timber and board supplier, it is essential to ensure that the products that they are delivering are compliant with the rules of the Forestry Stewardship Council® (FSC®) to demonstrate responsible use of timber.
The FSC® is a stakeholder body that effectively monitors the end-to-end supply of timber from the forest to the point of use to ensure that at all stages in the supply chain it can be demonstrated to have come from a sustainable that is managed responsibly. The FSC® certification stamp identifies compliant product, suppliers and merchants.
Creffields fully embraces the ethos of the FSC® and supplies flame-proof plywood, hardwood and other timber products that are fully certified by the FSC®. Indeed, Creffields is also certified by the Council and has been for many years.
FSC® Plywood is demanded by Creffields’ customers as well. Whether our timber is being used on the set of a TV programme, the stage of a major production or in the build of an exhibition stand or new retail showroom, all designers are required to use only demonstrably environmentally friendly products and the FSC® scheme is the largest and most comprehensive of its kind so this is often specified in a tender document or order.
The FSC® issues two types of licences:
Forestry Management Certification that demonstrates that the method and level of timber cultivation is sustainable Chain of Custody (COC) Certification which shows that only FSC® certified product is being supplied as such at all stages in the supply and re-work process.
Between the two levels of checking – which is undertaken by approved third parties – customers can be confident that product labelled as FSC® Plywood or any other type of timber is indeed compliant with the FSC® rules. FSC® certification even extends into products like paper, furniture and even jewellery. Creffields is certified under a COC license (CU-COC-805708).
With over half the world’s forests being calculated to have been destroyed, degraded or switched to other land use and much of the remainder being badly managed, the FSC® programme is an important contributor to the sustainable management of scarce global resources. We are proud to be part of this scheme and that our customers can be confident that when they order FSC® Plywood from us, there is no negative impact on the environment or the world’s forests.
Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification schemes
The PEFC Council (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification schemes) is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organisation, founded in 1999 which promotes sustainably managed forests through independent third party certification. The PEFC provides an assurance mechanism to purchasers of wood and paper products that they are promoting the sustainable management of forests.
PEFC is a global umbrella organisation for the assessment of and mutual recognition of national forest certification schemes developed in a multi-stakeholder process. These national schemes build upon the inter-governmental processes for the promotion of sustainable forest management, a series of on-going mechanisms supported by 149 governments in the world covering 85% of the world’s forest area.
PEFC has in its membership 32 independent national forest certification systems of which 25 to date have been through a rigorous assessment process involving public consultation and the use of independent consultants to provide the assessments on which mutual recognition decisions are taken by the membership. These 25 schemes account for over 190 million hectares of certified forests producing millions of tonnes of certified timber to the market place making PEFC the world’s largest certification scheme. The other national member’s schemes are at various stages of development and are working towards mutual recognition under the PEFC processes.
We also provide Finsa which is PEFC approved, as well as flexible MDF which is suitable for building strong curved structures on film and TV sets. In addition, all of our MDF boards come in a wide range of thicknesses from 6mm to 25mm.
- Benefits the biodiversity of nature and the environment.
- Promotes the economically viable, environmentally appropriate and socially beneficial management of forests.
- Provides independent certified proof of the sustainable management of forests.
- Provides continuous supplies of wood products from millions of hectares of sustainably managed certified sources.
- Develops national forest management certification standards and schemes, using multi-stakeholder processes for the protection of forests, which have been signed up to by 37 nations in Europe and other inter-governmental processes for sustainable forest management around the world.
- Uses internationally recognised accreditation and certification processes to ensure independence of control, standard setting and delivery of sustainable forest management.
- Is supported by independent certification systems on six continents and their stakeholders, including woodland owners, industry, environmental and social interests amongst others.
- Regular independent certified controls from the tree in the forest to the final product reassure the customer that the wood-based products can be traced back to sustainably managed forests.
- Facilitates active involvement of all forests and enterprises regardless of size. This includes family-owned forests and also small to medium sized forest enterprises as well as multinational corporations.
- Accommodates and incorporates the global diversity of forest types, cultural heritage, ownership structures and management objectives.